From our series of no-cook, emergency-pantry recipes submitted last fall for Kohler Generators “Dine in the Dark” sweepstakes, Patrick K. offers cold, delicious tacos. After all, says Patrick, “refried beans are usually the only hot part.” Cold tacos, to Patrick, are as tasty as cold pizza.
Preparation time: about 10 minutes.
- A can of refried black beans (or you can mix black and pinto beans)
- Flour or corn tortillas (already-fried hard shell or soft)
- Salsa (salsas now come in a staggering array of flavors)
And any additions you can dream up:
- Jalapeño peppers, pickled or fresh
- Avocados (cut in half, remove pit, slice in-the-skin, spoon out slices)
- Cilantro, chopped
- Onions, diced
- Lettuce or cabbage, shredded
- Lime wedges
- Garlic, minced (or garlic powder)
- Canned tuna
- Fresh mangos
- Canned pineapple chunks
- Radishes, sliced
- Olives, black, sliced
Assemble the ingredients in the tortilla — usually beans first; lettuce, if used, last.